Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Whatever works, I guess!


Given the omnipresence of religion in this country -- everything, it seems, happens with God's involvement in SOME way or another (or, as Theresa would put it, "God has a LOT of work to do here!") -- it wasn't surprising to see this sign pop up on campus a week or so ago, with final exams about to start.
As for my own class, hard to say whether it worked. Maybe not, based on some of the half-laughing, half-moaning wails as they turned in their exams to me this morning. ("Prof! You're killing us!") Hmmmm. Did they even GO to the prayer session? ("Dubbed: Is anything too hard for the Lord?") Maybe some old-fashioned studying would have helped, too. (Just kidding, students! The first ones I looked at weren't bad!)

And whilst (as we say in Ghana here) we're on the topic of religion, I really must mention my good friend 1733. Well, I don't really know who (or what) 1733 is, but it must be a friend, because it sends me such uplifting and inspiring text messages on my phone. They are of a vaguely spiritual nature. The particular brand if spirituality is a little hard to identify, although there might be a small clue in this one: "When flood comes, fish eat ants. When flood goes down, ants eat fish. Time matters...ALLAH."
But my very all-time favorite arrived about a month ago, and I have saved it in my inbox so I can return to it when I am feeling blue. I'm sure it applies to you, too, so feel free!
"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, then they can surely make something out of you. Don't give up in life. You are still of a value."
Wow. I feel better again. Thanks, 1733!

No comments:

Post a Comment